Monday, June 30, 2008

Applesauce

I bought cases of frozen apples and rhubarb and was looking for new ways to use them.  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and changed it up a bit to include my rhubarb.  I am not a rhubarb fan, but I love this applesauce!  


  • 8 apples - peeled, cored and shredded
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  1. Place shredded apples in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Sprinkle with cinnamon, then add water and cook until the apple bits become soft and mushy.
  2. Stir in brown sugar and mix well; if desired, top with ice cream and serve.
Variations and hints:
*To make my variation, I used 6 cups frozen apple slices and 2 cups frozen rhubarb slices.
*The original recipe calls for lots more cinnamon.  Add it to your taste.
*I used frozen sliced fruit.  When the fruit was soft and mushy I used a pastry cutter to cut up the apples.  Maybe a potato masher would work too.
*You can probably reduce the brown sugar.  It is pretty sweet.  If you don't use tart apples, you won't need much sugar at all.
*It's good warm or cold.  

No comments: