Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hawaiian Haystacks

I remember this from my youth.  It's a nice way to get all the food groups in one meal.  I've fed it to the missionaries and tonight I'm serving it to my bunco group.  Wonderful way to feed the masses!

Rice
Chicken gravy (cream of chicken soup diluted with milk or chicken broth to desired consistency)
Cubed chicken 
Cubed ham
Chopped celery
Chopped green onions
Chopped tomatoes
Slivered almonds
Maraschino cherries
Crushed pineapple
Shredded coconut
Chow mein noodles
Shredded cheese

Just lay it all out like a taco bar.  Typically, it is gravy over the rice and then whatever toppings people want.  

Variations and hints:
*Use any chicken gravy recipe you have.  
*Of course, you can customize the list of toppings to your liking. (Don't knock the cherries til you try it!)
*It's easy to make this vegetarian.  Omit the meat and use cream of mushroom soup or any other gravy recipe you have.

No comments: